Reader Request: Which “Straight-Size” Shops Have REAL “Plus-Size” Apparel?

Hello My Plus-Size Sisters!

*waving*

I hope everyone had is having a fantastic Labor Day weekend. Even though it's only been a few days since the launch, we've already got a reader request for information! Here's the question:

"I'm in that in-between size, where the true plus-size clothes are too big, but the extra-larges at a lot of 'regular stores' are too small. Can you tell me which stores carry 14/16s that are really 14/16s?"

Ah yes. The horrors of vanity sizing have often tripped up a full-figured fashionista in her quest to create the perfect ensemble. While this is an excellent question . . . it's one that I have no clue how to answer because most "straight-size" stores don't carry anything in my size. Shoot, it's been many years since I've gone to Express or The Limited to do anything other than shop for accessories. (Speaking of The Limited, I was absolutely delighted to learn that The Limited is launching a new plus-size line called Eloquii in October. The line will only be available online *semi-side-eye* but it's encouraging to see more mainstream retailers branching out into plus-size apparel. In this way, the Limited will be joining Old Navy and Forever 21, the latter of which actually DOES carry its plus-size clothes at select stores. I guess folks are starting to learn that our money is just as green as everyone else's! But I digress . . . .)

So, because I don't have the information to answer this question myself, I'm tossing this out to you, dear readers. (To quote the wonderful Afrobella, "Readers! I have readers! Yay!!!")

Which mainstream retailers carry clothes that go up to a REAL size 14/16?

Get your very own wardrobe makeover for FREE!!
(You only pay for the purchase of clothes. Styling services are 100% free!)
Visit www.keatonrow.com/curvyceo to learn more!

Click here to learn about additional personal styling services offered by Curvy CEO.

You might also be interested in...

6 comments for “Reader Request: Which “Straight-Size” Shops Have REAL “Plus-Size” Apparel?

1. Karen
    September 4, 2011 at 10:04 am

I found some good 14/16 at New York & Co (disclaimer: it was something like 6 years ago).

2. Jeanine
    September 4, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I’d go back to basics…..Sears, JCPenny’s have a good selection of of sizes. I’m a size 22 and sometimes, depending on the designer, I can fit an XL.

Also, don’t sleep on the local mom and pop places. In the south, we have a place called Citi Trends, which is hood rich for Baby Phat and the like, but also have some really good staples. Also there’s a place called Factory Connection, which is good for staples and some of the best accessories.

Some times it’s just a matter of being able to have the time to try on several pieces in several stores by several designers to see what works. Make a day of it.

• curvyceo
      September 4, 2011 at 5:30 pm

These are all great suggestions – keep ‘em coming!

3. September 6, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Banana Republic and Ann Taylor have good pants in 14-16, but you usually have to go online to get them. They rarely have them actually on the rack. Their pants fit my body shape well as I have slimmer legs and hips and, unfortunately a bigger upper body.

4. Lawyergirl
    September 13, 2011 at 11:26 am

I’m up to an 18 right now, but when I was that size I’ve had good luck with Gap, Banana, and the Jones New York brand at Macy’s and Nordstrom. Also in general the suit department at Macy’s. Our Lane Bryant also has some 12s, which are sized somewhat like a straight 14/16, maybe a little bigger.

5. Soigne1908
    November 8, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Talbots and Talbots Woman. Straight size TLB goes up to size 20. The Woman is 12W-24W. Now it’s a bit spendy but they have decent sales and you have nice classics that will last you for years.

Add Comment Register