In honor of the fact that Full Figure Fashion Week 2013 is happening RIGHT NOW in New York City, I'd like to highlight the fact that there are two . . . yes, TWO shows on television right now that celebrate the plus-size woman!
The first is "Curvy Girls" on NuvoTV, which is back for a second season. This show follows the lives of five plus-size models...I found this absolutely addictive last year. It's like "America's Next Top Model" meets "Basketball Wives" - absolutely delicious! The show airs Tuesday nights at 10pm.
Then, on Thursday nights over on We TV, we have the new show, "House of Curves". This show features plus-size design house Bella Rene out of Atlanta. The women on this show crack me up - they hold nothing back and I love it! Definitely an entertaining way to spend your Thursday nights.
Even if reality tv isn't your "thing," it's fantastic to see full-fledged plus-size women (representing the full range of "plus") on screen and looking fabulous! I intend to live tweet most of these episodes...if you're not already following me on Twitter, click here and join the conversation!
- It's pedicure season! Hooray for frequent and guilt-free trips to the nail salon!
- Who needs hosiery? Even though I love pantyhose, there is something liberating about just slipping on a pair of sandals or flats and heading out the door.
- Daylight Savings! Sunlight until 8pm or later? Yes, please!
- Warm summer nights. Whether you want to quote Johnny and Sandy or Miss Jill Scott ("...us was nice and warm...no jacket, no umbrella, just warm...."), there is nothing quite like warm, romantic summer nights.
- Festivals, barbeques, outdoor concerts, pool parties, etc. From Memorial Day to Labor Day, summer is often an endless stream of social activity.
- Nothing but dresses and skirts! As you know, I live for my dresses and skirts. In the summer, I wear them virtually everyday!
- Vacation!!! Besides the end of the year, summer is a time when no one will look at you sideways for taking an actual, real, bona fide vacation.
An in-depth discussion of the best-selling book Lean In and a catered brunch by DC-area chef and author Tiffany Griffin of ComoWater.com (Y'all remember Tiffany - she catered the very first Work Your Curves event. Now, sistergirl is making big moves with her new cookbook! You can read more about Tiffany and her food/cooking philosophy here.)
The event will take place on Saturday, June 8, 2013 beginning at 11:00 AM at the Archstone at M Street (1160 First Street, NE, Washington, DC - just steps from the NoMa-Gallaudet metro station on the redline!) Now, for those of you who fear a vegi-centric cuisine, fear not! The menu includes pancakes, grits, and - yes! - mimosas!Good food. Good conversation. What could be better than that? Tickets (because you know, we gotta pay for the catering!) costs $35 and may be purchased online at http://curvyceobooksandbrunch.eventbrite.com. Even if you're not able to read the book, we invite you to come out and indulge in what is sure to be an awesome event. Hope to see you there!!!